- Bring the water to a boil.
- Add the sugar to your boiling water but only add a half-cup at a time. You’ll want to stir this until it’s completely dissolved and the solution comes to a rolling boil. Remove from heat and cool for 20 minutes.
- Dip the wooden sticks into your sugar solution and then roll them in the extra sugar. Set them aside until dry (I left mine for 45-60 min)
- Now add about 6 drops of food coloring into each of your glasses. If you decide to use a flavoring extract, add a few drops of this as well.
- Pour the cooled sugar solution over the food coloring, about three-quarters of the way up the glass. Stir to combine.
- Place the dried skewers or swizzle sticks into the center of each glass and clip the top of the stick with a clothespin. This will keep it in the center of the glass so that the tip isn’t touching any part of the glass.
- Place the glasses somewhere no one will disturb them and let them sit for 1 – 2 weeks.
- Once the sugar crystals grow to the size you want, gently crack the hardened sugar at the top of your glass and remove the sticks.
- Allow them to dry before serving.