Last week my daughter was on vacation, she went swimming about 2-3 times a day for a week. She only washed her hair at the end of each day so the chlorine just ate away at all of the protein and nutrients she had. When she got home I was not able to brush it, even using A LOT of conditioner didn’t help. Her hair was not only tangled, her scalp was so dried out there was flaky skin everywhere. Her hair felt like straw or like plastic, it wasn’t shiny and smooth anymore. I decided to try some home remedies. I did some research and these seemed to work the best……1. Eggs: Eggs are full of proteins that can strengthen chlorine damaged hair. Crack and egg or two into a bowl, add a tablespoon of water per egg and whip with a fork. Apply to your hair and let the eggs soak in for fifteen minutes. Then simply rinse out.
2. Mayonnaise: Mayonnaise is made of eggs and oil, both of which are great for your hair. Heat the mayonnaise in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Apply the mixture to your hair and let soak for ten to fifteen minutes.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar: Vinegar not only cleanses your hair, but it conditions it too. Add some vinegar to a spray bottle and spray it onto your hair before shampooing. This will help remove the chlorine from your damaged hair.
4. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil has been used for centuries as a natural hair and skin conditioner. It has a low melting point so it will turn from solid to oil in your hands. Apply liberally to your hair and give it time to soak in. Rinse out.
5. Beer: Beer doesn’t only taste good, it is great for your hair. Put some in a spray bottle and spray a small amount onto your hair before styling. Don’t worry the smell goes away in a few minutes.
6. Olive Oil: Apply a few tablespoons of olive oil to your chlorine damaged hair before styling it. You can also apply the oil to your hair in the shower before shampooing, the heat of the shower will help the oil penetrate your hair.
7. Banana and Avocado: Smash together a very ripe banana with a very ripe avocado. Apply it to your hair and as with the other remedies let it set in before rinsing. Both banana and avocado are great for conditioning chlorine damaged dry hair.
8. Baking Soda Super Clarifying Treatment: Mix 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda with your regular shampoo. Let the mixture sit on your head for two to five minutes. Rinse. Repeat.