1-2 lbs ground round beef
1 onion (chopped)
1 cup carrots (frozen, fresh or canned)
1 cup corn (frozen, fresh or canned)
1 cup peas (frozen, fresh or canned)
4 Large potatoes
8 tablespoons butter (1 stick)
3/4 cup beef broth
Salt & Pepper to your liking
(I made 2 of these (picture above). This recipe can feed a family of 5-6)
- 1 Peel and cut up potatoes into cubes, boil until tender. (optional: If using fresh carrots, you can cook them whole with the potatoes, since they take about the same amount of time.)
- In a separate pan melt 4 Tablespoons butter in a frying pan. Then add the onions and cook until they are clear.
- Add ground beef to the onions. Add half a cup of beef broth and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, adding more beef broth as necessary to keep moist.
- Drain the potatoes and carrots, add them to the onion and beef mixture. (if using canned or frozen, still add them to beef mixture.)
- Mash the potatoes in bowl with remainder of butter, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place beef, onion and vegetable mixture in baking dish. Distribute mashed potatoes on top. Rough up with a fork so that the top will brown nicely.
- Cook in 400 degree oven until bubbling and brown (about 30 minutes). Broil for last few minutes if necessary to brown.