2 cups 2% reduced fat milk
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed
1/2 cup oatmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- Warm the milk in a small saucepan to no more than 100 degrees F (40 degrees C). Sprinkle the yeast overtop and let stand until the yeast softens and begins to form a creamy foam, about 5 minutes; stir in the sugar.
- Whisk the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oatmeal, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and pour the milk mixture into the well. Stir until the dough has pulled together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a light cloth and let rise in a warm place (80 to 95 degrees F (27 to 35 degrees C)) until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes.
- Grease 2 8×4-inch loaf pans. Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly-floured surface. Use a knife to divide the dough into two equal pieces – don’t tear it. Shape into dough rounds and let rest for 10 minutes. Form the dough into loaves and place into the prepared pans. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in volume, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden brown and the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
(145 Calories per slice. 12 slices per loaf)
3 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/3 cup honey
5 cups bread flour
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup honey
1 tablespoon salt
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a large bowl, mix warm water, yeast, and 1/3 cup honey. Add 5 cups white bread flour, and stir to combine. Let set for 30 minutes, or until big and bubbly.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons melted butter, 1/3 cup honey, and salt. Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour. Flour a flat surface and knead with whole wheat flour until not real sticky – just pulling away from the counter, but still sticky to touch. This may take an additional 2 to 4 cups of whole wheat flour. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to coat the surface of the dough. Cover with a dishtowel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.
- Punch down, and divide into 3 loaves. Place in greased 9 x 5 inch loaf pans, and allow to rise until dough has topped the pans by one inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes; do not overbake. Lightly brush the tops of loaves with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine when done to prevent crust from getting hard. Cool completely